Monday, 26 January 2015

Place Value: Tens and Ones Activities

We have been working lots on building and recording tens and ones. It has really helped my lower kids in counting and understanding numbers and their relationships to other numbers.

We recently introduced some new number puzzles to our Math by Myself Activities.

There are 3 different kinds of puzzles. 4 piece, 2 piece and 1 piece.

IMG_2839

I store my puzzles in ziploc bags. These ones are a little more intricate than my other puzzles, so I taped an example to the bag of how to correctly complete it, in case they forget.

The first puzzle works on showing the number in numerals, tens and ones (words), base ten blocks and ten frames.

IMG_2840

In the next puzzle, students need to connect the base ten blocks with their corresponding number card and then write how many tens and ones. The puzzle pieces are laminated and we use a whiteboard marker.

IMG_2842

The last puzzle has students circling how many tens and ones are needed to show the number. There are no pieces to connect, just circling with a whiteboard marker.

IMG_2841

Please email me if you are interested in the puzzles as they are no longer available in my store.


Place Value Puzzlesa

I printed them 4 to a page in order to save cardstock! Each puzzle style goes through the numbers 1-50. I would recommend mixing them up and making multiple puzzle bags so as not to overwhelm the kids. In the 4 piece puzzle set, I was able to make 3 different bags using all the numbers from 1-50.



7 comments:

  1. Oh thank you!! This is exactly what we are working on and being new to this grade I had no resources to speak of...life saver!!! I' m so glad I found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these puzzles are exactly what I'm looking for! Are you willing to share?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Are you willing to share it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - Would you please email me the place value puzzles and the colorful days of the week drawer signs? They are fantastic! I would appreciate it. Thanks! rosyashish@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome resource. Cant seem to find email details. Can you advise of details? e_waterson@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover