Thursday, 20 March 2014

How to create a QR Code of an Image!

Hello folks,

Back with another installment of Tech Talk Thursday!

Last night some colleagues and I shared some technology ideas that we use in our classroom with our Principals university class. One of the ideas we shared about was using QR codes in the classroom. Many of us use them in a variety of ways and it got me thinking about new things I could do with them for my own kids.

Many people might know that you can create a QR code to link to a url, text and even voice. Did you know you can also link an image? It takes a few steps but not nearly as much trouble as you would think!

I wanted my kids to use the QR codes to go on a hunt to find different ways to make 10. I wanted them to be able to scan a QR code and have a ten frame pop up which shows a combination to 10.

Like this:
ten


They would look at red plus white and record the number sentence that matches the ten frame. So 4 + 6 = 10.

I made 11 different QR codes for my kids to find all the different combos that make 10.

Here is how I did it:

Step 1: Insert your image or graphic into Powerpoint. I had previously made ten frames in Powerpoint so I opened up that document.

qrimage3

Step 2: Save each image you want as a jpg or png. You can right click on each image and save as picture. You need to save each one separately. So I had 11 ten frame combos I wanted so I had 11 pics saved.

Step 3: Go to Photobucket online. Photobucket is a web tool that lets you store your pictures online.  You need to create an account but its free! Upload all the images you just saved as jpgs or pngs to Photobucket. 
Here is what 1 of my images looks like after I uploaded it.
 
qrimage1

Step 4: For each image you upload…Photobucket creates a direct link for it. So you can view that photo online with the link.

qrimage

Step 5: Copy the direct link and paste it into a QR code generator. I like goqrme.com because it is super simple.

qrimage4

Step 6: It will now generate a QR code for you for that link! Here is my QR code on the far right for one of my ten frames.

qrimage5


I can right click on it and save the QR code as a pic or like it says download it!
So I went in Photobucket and copied all the links for each image and then kept pasting them into the generator to make new QR codes.

Step 7: Print the QR codes and have your kids use a scanner app (free) to go scan and solve!   I am going to have them go around with a partner, an ipad, and a whiteboard. They will scan and then write the number sentence for that ten frame on the whiteboard. (saving paper!)

Here are 2 that I made. Use your scanner app to scan it and see what it looks like!

ten frame hunt

Hope this makes sense! Try it out and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Renee! I had no idea how QR codes worked. Thanks to you I can now try this!
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover