Wednesday, 7 August 2013

More assessment with Evernote and Kustom Note!

Yesterday I shared how to insert a table into Evernote so that you could make checklists and assess on your Ipad. As I was fiddling around with Evernote yesterday I came across some other tech blogs that mentioned an App called Kustom Note.
kustom1
Kustom Note allows you to make professional looking custom note taking templates and online forms using a wide variety of fields. Kind of like a Google Forms.

What I like about Kustom Note:
  • Easy to use
  • You can use pre made templates that people have shared or you can make your own
  • You can edit pre made templates so you don’t have to start from scratch
  • There is a web application and an App version for your computer and Ipad
  • You can connect your Evernote account with it ..so once you are done taking notes, you can choose the notebook you want to send it too and it will send it directly into that notebook in Evernote!!!!
The last one is the best. Why you ask? Check it out.
 
I want to start doing most of my assessment and data collection on the Ipad. As much as I can figure out anyway.

So in Evernote I created a notebook titled “Assessment” and then created each child a notebook under that. (I am also going to try to do my Daily plans on here for the year, instead of a binder..EEk!)

photo 2 (4)photo 3 (3)
 
Then in Kustom Note…I created a template to assess my kids sight words. I added fields to track the date, score and then a checklist for all 100 words.
Here are the kinds of fields you can choose to add in your template.
 
kustom
 
This is what my template looks like when I open it up in the Kustom App on my Ipad. I can select the notebook in Evernote I want it to go to, select the date and then check off the words as I assess him! When I’m done, I give him a score and then send it off!
 
photo 1 (5)

Now I get out of that App and open up my Evernote App and when I go in Alex’s notebook…his assessment is there waiting for me! All of his assessments will be kept in his notebook. Easy to see, easy to use to write reports and share at conferences with parents! I can rename the note if I want to include the date etc so at a quick glance I can see what goes together.

photo 4 (3)

I then click on his note and it opens up to show his assessment! Love the layout and the way it looks in Evernote!

photo 2 (5)Everytime I assess his sight words, I will get a new note sent to his notebook in Evernote! I can show his progression as well as document his needs and strengths for parents, admin, myself, etc.

Cool huh?

Here is what the Kustom App looks like when I open it up. It displays all the templates you have created and saved in your account to choose from. So I can make templates to assess sight words, reading conference notes, writing conference notes, math conferences and more!

Here I have 3 templates. The Reading Conference ones are templates that were already made by someone else that I saved just to see how it worked. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to delete templates!

photo 1 (4)

Here is a mock example of the reading conference template and how you could use it and fill it out.

photo 4 (4)

Here’s what it looks like when I am getting ready to submit it to Evernote.

photo 5 (3)

Again, go back to Evernote and there it should be in whoevers notebook you sent it to! Open it up and voila! (You can change the colour, look etc when you make the template in Kustom Note.)

photo 5 (2)
I can save multiple pieces of assessment that document progression and learning all in each child’s notebook! No more binders full of a million papers for each assessment that you do! I can access these notes on my computer, email them, print them if needed.

I’m hoping to move towards eliminating as much paper as I can in this following year for myself and my kids! Hope this gives you some ideas!

Anyone else assessing on their Ipad??

Tomorrow----------how to do running records on your Ipad and again…save to Evernote


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! It looks great! I just downloaded to iPhone app.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope this little tutorial made sense !

      Delete
  2. Have you ever used the pensieve when doing the daily 5? What are your thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the paper one or online one? I tried using the paper one but found the forms never really fit what I wanted. I've never tried the digital one. I do like the idea of creating the forms to fit you ...so free from kustom note seemed to work. We will see how I like it !

      Delete
  3. I use Evernote and really like it. Not familiar with Kustom Note but this all looks very cool. I'm going to buy an Air book so hopefully Kustom Note will work with that.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Evernote too! What do you use it for so far?

      Delete
  4. hi, great posts. I am slightly confused about evernote. Do I need evernote to transfer the Kustom files to? Why do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I think Kustom Note is an extension app for Evernote. I believe you can only send it to Evernote but I'm not sure. I send it to Evernote because I am creating binders sort of in evernote for each of my kids. So all their assessment and documention will be housed in their notebook in Evernote.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. I love the template. However, I am still a bit confused. Do you have to add this form to each individual student note or notebook? And do you have to re-add it each time you meet?
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aubrey

      Every time I want to use the form I go into kustom. Note and assess a kid and send it to Evernote. So yes, every time I check on a kids sight words I do a new list and send the results into their notebook so i have all their documentation in 1 place. Hope that answers your question.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I just came across your info doing a search on Kustom Note. I'm in a different profession but wanting to use Kustom Note Templates for my client visits. Just looking for somewhere to find more info and "how to's" Also wondering about any advantages of paid version over free one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been successful using Word to create Forms, then copy/paste into a Note in Evernote. Minor editing needed, but they work great. I can even drop logo images in the Note to dress it up a bit.

    Here are two samples:
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s48/sh/43e86bce-4713-4057-801e-5d1efa82140f/3a08642d99e5b880060c21bc26e19284

    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s48/sh/3ab46df8-07d9-401c-a268-d347e5c5eec8/fff251e7833f4b5d3c3e313c5b86d653

    Let me know what you think, Please!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover