Monday, 1 April 2013

Brownies anyone?

One of my kiddos brought it up at Morning Meeting that it was April Fool’s day and it led to a big discussion on what it was and the kinds of tricks we could play that were kind and also a little funny.

I let them try and get me all day with “ Ms.St.Laurent someone is behind you!” and “Ms.St.Laurent I can’t open my lunch!” (jokes are hard in grade 1)

I thought I would try and get them at Closing Circle which is the end of our day. I told them I had baked them a treat and it just came out of the oven. I had a baking sheet covered with a towel and was saying it smelt sooo good.

I told them I had made them Brownies. Boy were they excited! Eyes were huge….kids sat up on their knees…gasps were heard around the classroom.

Note: They are EASY to please because we have a nutrition policy and can’t have chocolates and candy and cakes at school….so this would be like Ms.St.Laurent is breaking the rules.

Instead I broke their hearts by bringing this out.

photo (73)

Brown E’s!!??!!!

Are you kidding me!!??!!! There was a definite angry mob of 6 and 7 year olds.

April Fools!

The only thing is I had to explain the joke to them….because 6 and 7 year olds aren’t to quick on the humour.

Once I explained it and the angry mob had calmed, I told them they could take a Brown  E home and try and trick their mom and dads! That made them feel better.

We will see tomorrow how they do!

Anyone else do any April fools jokes?


Now onto some school stuff!

These number puzzles will help students identify and name a variety of strategies used when adding and subtracting.

If you can name it….you can claim it!
 
Doubles, Doubles + 1, One More, One Less and Make Ten are included as well as a sort that identifies True and False Number Sentences.

Check it out!

photo (71)photo (72)photo (70)



If you have stayed with me this long....I will send out copies to the first 3 people to name the Province I live in!! Leave your email!

 
 

12 comments:

  1. Manitoba. I love the Brown E joke!!!
    Marcy
    marcy_sundling@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brownies are cute! I send home fake report cards with my kids, so they can trick their parents. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your report cards Tammy! Super cute!

      Delete
  3. I love the Brownie joke, I saw that idea on Pinterest!
    You are from Manitoba - just like me :)

    Kaleigh's Klassroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having trouble commenting,so I am trying this again..... I am new to blogs and don't have one myself. You are from Manitoba and I am from B.C.
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE all your ideas. I will have to come back and read more when I have some time. Just stopped by to thank you for linking up with the Blog by Province Linky at http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/p/blog-by-province.html. So glad to have more Canadian bloggers on board! Welcome, please spread the word by downloading your province blog button (right click on the province and download image, you can resize and then upload to your sidebar with a link back to the page). Thanks again! Happy Tuesday!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to drop back and tell you that I adore this pack! I can't wait to get it laminated so my kids can use it. Thanks for creating such wonderful products!
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the True and False cards! How can I get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niki,

      Send me an email @ reneesaintlaurent@hotmail.com !

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover