Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Caterpillar Counting

Here’s an activity I adapted from Debbie Diller’s Math Workstations book.

Students roll 2 dice and add the dots together.They record that number on the first circle of the caterpillar and then continue the sequence of numbers. Students continue rolling and recording numbers in sequence. Students can use a number line or hundreds chart to check their numbers. (Sorry for the glare…was using my camera phone again)



For practice writing number sequences up to 100 and above: Turn over flash cards instead of rolling dice to get the first number.

For a simpler writing sequence: Only use 1 die.

I printed these out on cardstock and laminated them. This will become a Math by Myself activity in my Daily 5 bins.

I have also printed them on paper double sided and cut them in half and stapled to make Caterpillar Counting books.

My kids have also been having fun playing the Spinnerama games in Math With Someone!



5 comments:

  1. I like the caterpillar activity. It's really hard for some kids to start counting from any number other than one. Thanks for the freebie.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great games, thanks for the freebie!
    Great giveaway for making 5 and 10, too. I hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I also meant to say that I am a follower.

      Delete
  3. I already am a follower!
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover