Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Pumpkin Hunt, Pumpkin Treats and a Pumpkin Mishap

Phew. It’s over.

After getting 18 little ones into costumes and settling them down enough to do anything we started a Pumpkin Hunt! More appropriately titled Pumpkin, Bat, Spider Hunt!

First I got a bunch of dollar store foam Halloween shapes and wrote the numbers 1-10 on them. I made enough so pairs of kids could find a whole set from 1-10.
Then I hid them around the classroom. Visible enough that they didn’t have to go digging in anything.

Each partner had their own Pumpkin Hunt Page. When it was time, they went around with their partner and looked for the numbers 1-10.
IMG_0102
IMG_0101
When they found a number, they coloured it in on their page and put it in their bag.
 IMG_0103
When they had found every number and coloured it in, they came back to the carpet with their partner and sorted their numbers in order.
IMG_0106IMG_0105
Then we did a little data collection.  They had to answer 3 questions: How many pumpkins do you have? How many bats do you have? How many spiders do you have?

On the bottom, students filled in the number table with the beginning sound that each foam shape made. For example: If their number 1 was on a pumpkin shape, they would write P. Number 2 on a bat shape, they would write B. Number 3 on a spider shape they would write S. Etc Etc…
IMG_0111IMG_0110

We also had some awesome Halloween treats from some very generous parents! (Only Healthy!)

IMG_0108

Lastly on to the Pumpkin Mishap….

I saw these super cute silly pumpkins on Doodle Bugs Teaching Blog.

007
And I thought…”Hey! My kids can do that! This is perfect for the day before Halloween when I need a sub because I have a math PD to go to all day.”

Well…..my pumpkins look a little different…
IMG_0112
What happened??!!???!!!????

(love the guy in the top left btw..he makes me laugh)

All I see on teacher blogs is beautiful, perfect  kid work. Where are these perfect kids??? Because my turkeys are hard work.

Maybe it was the sub directions? I have in my head that if I was instructing them on this it would have turned out more like this…

IMG_0113
(This is the demo I left for the sub…haha)

Who am I kidding?

These Jack-o-Lanterns have character… and show creativity… and a need for 1 step directions with visuals and frequent reminders.

Happy Halloween everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Love your pumpkin hunt, Renee. I pinned it for next year.
    I can relate to your pumpkin "anguish", ha ha! You should pop by my blog and look at the painted pumpkins we did. They don't look anything like what I'd envisioned either:)) Although I have to say, your pumpkins are very cute and funny!!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I know. I have such great ideas in my head....but my kiddos this year need lots of visuals and modelling...again and again. I'm going to go check out your pumpkins!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a busy Halloween! I love the pumpkin hunt idea.... super cute! My current school doesn't celebrate Hallowee, so we didn't get to do anything fun this year. Oh well, it was nice to not have to worry about 26 little ones in costumes!! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! We only have Halloween in the afternoon so it wasn't too bad. We were very tired this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover