Sunday, 7 October 2012

Math Notebooks and HWT lowercase letter posters

This is just a quick post about a new page we did in our math notebooks.
We glued down sets of objects and then worked on counting each object and writing down a number to show how many there were. We practiced counting each object only once and touching each object as we counted.
october 6th, 2012 008october 6th, 2012 011october 6th, 2012 012
Once we move past these first few, I am going to begin differentiating the activities in our notebooks. I would like to have this as one of the choices in Math Writing but I’m not sure if we would be able to do this independently. I may need a sample activity done to show what to do when they are working by themselves.

I also created some Handwriting without Tears posters for the lowercase letters. We have been reviewing Capital Letters and are ready to move on. In Handwriting without Tears, there are tall letters, small letters and descending letters.  I am going to use these when teaching lowercase and then add them to our wall for when the kids are writing.
I am going to share them but…I need something answered! This may be silly but I couldn’t remember if the letter “i” was a small letter or a tall letter because of the dot. Anyone know? I don’t have my books with me to check!
 

hwt3hwt2hwt1

We are also going to start practicing how to write on 2 line paper. Writing on double line paper helps to transition kids to write on any other type of paper including single line paper as they get older.

hwt4


And for all my Canadian friends and followers…Happy Thanksgiving! Yay for the long weekend!


3 comments:

  1. I like what you're doing in your math books. They actually look a lot like mine:) I'm posting your number ideas ~ thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is my first year doing them...so I'm still working stuff out!

      Delete
  2. Before being introduced to Handwriting without tears I always had my lowercase letters posted and referred to as 'small' 'tall' and 'tail' (descending - because the letter has a 'tail' that goes below the line. I just find small, tall, tail rolls easier off the tongue when saying it.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover