Tuesday, 24 July 2012

New Blog and Daily 5 Math Bags

My fabulous music teacher at my school was the one who finally convinced me to start a blog. And now she has made one of her own!  It is called Stay Tuned! It is so cute and full of great ideas for music and the classroom! Go check it out and pass it on to the music teachers at your school. She is amazing!!!!

Click on the name to check her out!



Now onto Daily 5 Math. I posted awhile ago about some of the activities I use for D5 math as well as some pictures of set up on the Classroom Pictures Page.

This was my second year doing it and I am still working out some kinks.

Today I am posting about my students math bags. Each student has one and it is filled with a variety of manipulatives that can help them be independent and successful during Math Daily 5.

They take them with them to every activity they choose. In the beginning of the year we go over routines and expectations for taking care of math bags. Then it's up to them to take care of it. When the chime rings at the end of the round, they are in charge of putting things back into their math bag and tidying up their activity. I must have drilled it into them well because at the end of the year when we were tidying up, I only had 1 student who had lost 1 tile in his bag of counters. THATS IT!!!! Every other student had EVERY manipulative that they had started with. No missing cards, no lost pencil, no lost dice. I was proud :)



Each bag has a name tag with the students name. It has handles and  a zipper. I purchased them from Dollarama (Canadian dollar store) They are laptop bags.

In each students Math Bag there is:

1. Deck of Cards: I removed the J, Q, K cards from each students deck. Students take these out when they finish their activity in Math by Myself. They play Memory (matching numbers), Make ten (finding pairs that make ten), Don't find the tens ( this is not the real name, I can't remember it!!) and they can work on sorting their cards into numbered sets.



2. Double Ten Frame and Hundreds Chart: Students use the double ten frame to play, fill the frame, ten frame flash etc. Hundreds chart is used for counting forwards and backwards, skip counting, patterning etc.



3. Number Line and Bead Number Line: Number line 1-20 and bead number line with 20 beads on each pipe cleaner. Students use these manipulatives as needed for support with adding and subtracting, 1 more 1 less, 2 more 2 less.  



4.  Power of Ten Cards: Each student has their own mini deck of power of ten cards in their math bag.  They are mini ten frames showing the numbers 0-10. There are tons of games to teach with the power of ten cards. 



5. Eraser, Pencil and Die: Every student has 1 of these in their math bag. When their game or activity requires a dice, they take it out of their math bag. Pencils and erasers are used for recording pages and Math Writing. Only rule about pencils: I will not sharpen pencils during math rounds. The noise is distracting to students who are learning. I teach my students to quietly get up and grab an extra pencil if their's breaks without interrupting me!


6.  Whiteboard, marker and eraser: I make whiteboards for my kids out of page protectors. I slip in a white piece of paper and there you go!! Easy Peasy. Each bag has a whiteboard, dry erase marker and eraser. The eraser is a piece of keenex. I didn't have any kleenex in my room when I took the picture! I make my kids treat their kleenex like gold. This year I only changed the kleenex's 3 times. And we use those whiteboards every day! Also for some of the math by myself activities, I have students slide the paper in their page protector and use their marker to work on it. Instead of wasting so much paper.



 
7. Bag of Counters: Each student has a bag of counters. I made them by cutting squares out of foam sheets. I wrote the numbers 1-15 on 1 side of the tile. I made 2 sets for each child. So everyone has 30 tiles. 1-15 two times. Each bag also has 3 yellow counters. These have the symbols plus, minus and equals on them. They use the number side to create number sentences, order numbers etc. They use the blank side as counters. If their game requires them to have 10 counters, they flip them over and use the blank side of the tiles.



So that's all right now!


 Do you have math bags for your kids? What would you add in them? How do you help your students become independent in math?

13 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I love these bags!! I am doing guided math for the first time this year and I think I need to make these! Just add it to the other pile of blog-inspired things I need to make this summer ;) haha

    Did the laptop bags come with the name tags on them? I may have to make a few trips to Dollarama!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!! I added the name tags on them. I think I bought the clear sleeves and clips at Walmart. Super cheap. Or Staples. Either way it was a few bucks at most. When I took off the cardboard Dollarama tag I left the zap-strap that was holding the tag so I could clip the name tag on it. Just a tip!

      I too had to make a few trips to a few Dollarama's to find enough black bags in the same size. Lol. They have them in red and blue too!

      Renee

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for posting about my blog! I am still religiously following your blog! I may need some blogger tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these bags! I need to look into those:)

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonya!! I love them too! My kids are *seriously* independent. It's freaky.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I am new to your blog! Very NIce! I did live in Manitoba for 9 years. I am interested in the power of 10 cards. Their use and where to find them. I do love the bags. THey are so much bigger than a pencil box! I hope I can find them at our dollar store!!
    Laurie airforcemom19@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just went out today and bought the last five bags with handles from our dollarama store...finally a store that is in Canada. I sam making these tomorrow---thanks so much for the ideas. I might put a place value chart in mine to (1000's, 100's, 10's 1's column and they can use the number tiles to explain too. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! Its always nice to hear from other Canadians! The Place Value chart is a great idea! I am always looking to see what else I could add. I had to go to a few Dollaramas in order to find a class set. I buy tons of classroom stuff there!

      Renee

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post.Very important and timely article. Information provided is concise and informative. Keep up the great work!
    buy enametag


    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing. I have it pinned for that "someday." I would put a laminated place value chart made on sentence strips (they fold in half). I would also include laminated base ten block images that can be colored. We also have a die cut that has base ten blocks that could be put in a baggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great idea! I am curious...how often do you change the materials in the bag?

      Delete
    2. The materials stay in the bag the whole year. We add in more materials as the year goes that they might need. I like to keep them the same so that kids can use whatever they may need for support whenever they might need it. So if they need to use their number line still when adding, they can pull it out.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover